It's some sort of smiling wave thingy with sunglasses, which I suppose is the official mascot of Pepperdine, named Willie The Wave:
"Oh, Pepperdine has an interesting mascot" was not what I blurted out. What I DID blurt out was "WHOA, IT'S MAC TONIGHT!" I almost leaped out of my seat. As the adrenaline slowly wore off I was able to take in more of the character and noticed subtle differences. The character was blue, not white. His hair had many points, not just one. Most apparently, he was dressed like a down-and-out stoner, and not a well-to-do businessman. Still, the likeness was there, and suddenly I find Pepperdine a lot more interesting.
Mac Tonight, in case you are under the age of 14 or have been living in a bunker, was an amazing short-lived mascot for McDonalds that advertised the fact that they were open late. His name was a bizarre collage of Big Macs, nighttime, and the swing-era song "Mack The Knife". This alone makes him glorious. The fact that he had an enormous crescent moon head with sunglasses and had toys designed after him is what TRULY had him win our hearts. I want to be in that board meeting where some marketing exec had the balls to say, "I have a way for us to sell more burgers: a creepy albino with a moon for a head that sings songs that were popular 50 years ago."
Honestly, while I am happy that Willie The Wave has kept alive the memory of the now deceased Mac Tonight (cause of death: end of advertising campaign/crushed to death under weight of his own head), all he really accomplishes is making us long for the original.
Mac Tonight, if you are reading this, I hope you are in heaven playing that piano on a cloud, still inexplicably catering to children with 8pm bedtimes and telling them that McDonalds is open until 2am.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar