Jumat, 12 November 2010

San Telmistico

credit: M.T. Jackson

The above sketch is the work of Michael T. Jackson, the mysterious originator of our San Telmo-based writing group.  A painter, a sketch-artist, a photographer, an occasional yoga teacher, a writer, and an anthropological traveler---MTJ is the expatriate Renaissance man incarnate.  Imagine him in a red marathon T-shirt, denim cutoffs, barefoot or in sandals.  The curly, unkempt hair of geniuses.  A small mustache.  A wild, preoccupied look in his eyes, the look of someone who's thinking too many ideas at once and is struggling to contain them all.  Originally from central California, he ditched Berkeley to bum around Africa, spent several weeks in South Africa studying native tribes, then more time in Egypt at an archaeological dig.  Then two months holed up in an apartment in Cairo pounding out a book on his Mac.  Now he's here, in Buenos Aires, a ringleader of art-types and expatriates, and Jess and I were fortunate enough to meet him.

Next week MTJ is hosting an event.  As I understand it, it will be a theatrical presentation, a party, an open mic, a concert by this guy, a tango dance, an art exhibit, and possibly stations for photography and painting.  WTF.  I can't wait.  Even knowing MTJ (although, of course, briefly), I can't imagine what this will actually look like.  Where the actors and musicians will perform in his 1-bed loft on Bolivar is anyone's guess.  Maybe they'll play through the crowd.  It wouldn't surprise me.  At least he doesn't have any furniture.  A small table, a few ass cushions for floor-sitting, an easel---nothing too hard to move.  Will he move any of his own paintings (which cover the walls) to make space for other artists?  Will he sell the painting of the flower in the toilet?  I'll let you know next week.

In the meantime, MTJ is selling 2011 calendars of his San Telmo sketches (like the one above) for $25-50 pesos.  Any takers?  I'm buying mine Thursday.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar