Kamis, 09 Desember 2010

Revolución en la Casa

In one week, we will have a new house.  4 of 5 roommates will be leaving: Guy and Paola (U.S., Peru) to Lima then the States; Robi (Hungary) to Budapest, by way of New York; Tomik (Poland) to somewhere else in BsAs.  Two weeks after that, Mateo heads back to France, and Jess and I will be the only CasaBB veterans in the house.  An Australian might be taking Mateo's room, a Scottish/British couple are moving into Guy's, and a tall dude of unknown origin looked at Robi & Tomik's today.  I have no idea what to expect.  The house is beautiful, of course, but the roommates give the house its vibe.  For a week or two, we've had what Paola describes as mala onda--bad juju--and I'm hoping we don't get more of that.  Will we be able to share space with this new crew as well as we have with the departing one?  Will they take up all the stove burners at dinner time or refuse to buy garbage bags or smoke on the terrace when I want to be on the terrace?  Or will we all head to the bars together, share an Xmas meal on the roof, empty a few bottles of wine?  Keep you posted.

It's Guy and Paola's last weekend, so we're hitting up a wine tasting at a building in which each floor is designed to reflect one of the nine circles of Dante's Inferno.  Then on Saturday, it's Peruvian food (first time for me---only had the Inca Kola at Pittsburgh's Chicken Latino).  Maybe a home asado next week on the roof as a going away party.  Those two are kind of the heart of this place---Guy here for a year, Paola at least 2.  I'm nervous about their leaving.  Their welcome on the first day here was pretty much the best thing ever.  Speaking Spanish and English, they're often conduits for conversation within the house.  And Paola's echoing singalongs to '80s tunes give the place life.  The antithesis of mala onda.  For me, of course, everything in Buenos Aires is temporary.  Friendships, housing, jobs, etc.  Guy and Paola are the first casualties of that brevity.  I can't expect that they will be replaced by the new wave of CasaBB inhabitants.  Nor can I expect I'd be the one to replace them, even as the new "veteran."  They'll be missed.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar